Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is a systematic way of promoting websites by increasing website visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) through the paid advert. This is a form of Internet marketing that incorporates search engine optimization (SEO), rewrites website web contents and site architecture to derive a higher ranking search engine results which in turn enhance pay per click (PPC).
Utilizing search engine marketing enables advertisers to bid on specific keywords or phrases and ensure ads appear with the results on search engines. With the development of the system, the majority of advertisers prefer to expand their activities, which includes increasing search engines and adding more necessary keywords. The two primary search networks that Search Engine Marketers utilise are Google AdWords and the Bing Ads.
Google AdWords is also subdivided into two: Google Search Network and Google Display Network. Google Search Network consists exclusively of search-related websites owned by Google, while Google Display Network includes properties such as YouTube, Blogger and Gmail. The Bing Ads enable customers to buy ads on both Yahoo’s network of websites and Bing’s network.
Importance of Search Engine Marketing
With an increasing number of individuals, companies, small and medium enterprises taking their products and services online for sales exhibition, search engine marketing has over time become a crucial strategy for an increase in business outreach. In Nigeria and other parts of the world, Internet users have made it a habit to confirm the existence of product/services, its originality and possible costs through search engines.
Since consumers enter search queries with the desire to find information about a commodity or service, they are in an excellent state of mind to receive marketing responses and to be treated as a prospective client. SEM reaches prospective clients at exactly the appropriate time as at when they are dire in need of crucial information. Unlike traditional marketing outreach like TV, Radio and the likes, SEM is not intrusive and does not interrupt customers’ tasks.
Search Engine Marketing is indeed the fastest way to drive traffic to a website. Search results are immediate and the interface is user-friendly which enables individuals from different dispensations to navigate and understand the search results.
Brief Explanation on How SEM works
- Search engines use complicated algorithms to make sure the most relevant results are displayed for each search, including location and other necessary information.
- A paid search ad or sponsored ads appear at the top of every search engine results pages to gain more visibility and precedence over other results.
- In every search results displayed, you are likely to come across various company ads whose keywords match the keywords in your search queries.
- When setting up a campaign within an SEM network, the marketer is prompted to:
- Select a set of keywords related to clients demands (product & services)
- Select a geographic location necessary for the ad to be displayed (as required by the client)
- Create a text-based ad to display in the search results
- Bid on an amount payable for each click on their ad.